Ashtanga yoga beginners intro course (4x)/Annankatu
Welcome to dive into the Ashtanga Yoga
This is a course of four consecutive weeks, where you will dive into the elementary practice of the dynamic Ashtanga yoga. This course for is suitable for practitioners who haven’t practiced dynamic yoga before, or who wish to have a new introduction after a practice break. The course will be conducted in English. Teacher: Yiouli Spanoude (Cyprus).
What would you learn
We will go through a new beginner’s Ashtanga yoga practice series. We learn how to practice the breathing technique of Ashtanga yoga called Ujjayi. We also learn about strengthening the middle body or our core using the Bandhas, i.e. muscle locks. In Ashtanga practice, the activation of the supporting muscles in the center of the body and the deep breathing are further combined with the dynamic practice of yoga positions, or asanas. This synchronized movement with breath is called Vinyasa, which is a very special practice method that warms and flexes the body along.
After the course
After the course, you can participate in guided beginners classes levels 1 & 1/2. In addition, practical instructions for home yoga are provided in the course.
Thus you can start to build up your weekly yoga experience by combining practice in the group classes and at home. A special feature of Ashtanga yoga is the aim to reach steady routine of weekly practice.
Benefits of regular yoga practice
Regular exercise balances the body and mind, relieves the effects of stress and balances overall well-being. Once you’ve internalized your yoga sequence, yoga becomes a movement meditation that focuses on your own ability to initiate. In addition, you can participate in the so-called for mysore exercises, where you get more personal guidance. You can get more information about the training that suits you in this beginner’s course.
Registration and payment instructions
Can’t book a course? See the instructions below or send us your course registration with a booking form.
You can first buy a course card from the Price List below and then register for the course. When you register for the course, the course registration window opens, where you can see your own course or class pass under My passes: by clicking on that pass, you confirm your registration for the course.
Alternatively, you can buy a course pass directly upon registration; see below for instructions on how to purchase a course pass when booking.
To speed up course check-in at the yoga studio, we recommend to pay the course by your payment card in advance when registering for the course.
If you have sports benefits available, see the instructions below how you can pay for the course with them.
You can also pay for the course by bank transfer from your own online bank: you can see the details of the Yoga School’s payment account on the course Invoice. Bank transfer does not automatically acknowledge the course payment, but send a receipt/photo of the payment by email to email@example.com and we will acknowledge the course as paid.
How to book, step-by-step guide
- First, create your own account in the reservation system. We recommend downloading the Helsinki Astanga Yoga School App. The same reservation ID is used in the app and on the astangajooga.fi website. Remember to log in to the app (Log in) in the Member role. Managing course reservations and canceling classes is easiest through the App.
- Book yourself a course card or a package. It takes place in the yoga school’s online store, either via the website or the App. You can pay for the course immediately or later. See below for more information on buying a course card and paying with your eployee provided exercise benefits.
- Register for the course with the Book button. If you have a course pass, it is shown under My passes, confirm your registration with the relevant course pass. If you don’t have a course pass yet, you can choose it at this point from the English Course Passes menu.
Our booking application makes using the booking system easy
Download the Helsingin Astanga Yogakoulu app to your phone or tablet from iStore or Google Play. The same reservation ID is used in the app and on the astangajooga.fi website. Remember to log in to the app (Log in) in the Member role. The app is faster to use than through a browser.
The app makes it convenient to book courses (Workshops in the top menu) and classes (Schedule menu in the app) and, if necessary, cancel class reservations (My Bookings).
- If you haven’t used our Bsport-based reservation system before, do a Sign up in the App and then before the first login to your account reset the password (Forgot password) so that you can set your own password.
- Log in to the app in the Member role (Teacher view appears empty).
- The Workshops view that opens on the app’s front page is a course menu from which you can watch a presentation of a specific course, and at the end of the presentation, upcoming course dates are displayed, from which you can choose a course that suits you.
- Remember to cancel the booking of a class or course in time (at least 2 hours before the start of the class) so that the credits of the booking are returned to your account for booking another class.
- You can check the validity and monitor the usage of your class or course pass under Studio / My passes.
- You can also buy new yoga passes in the studio section.
Option: purchase of a course pass when booking the course
If you do not yet have a valid course pass, you can purchase it during registration as follows:
Open the price list by clicking on ”English Course passes” and you will see the course passes suitable for this course and their prices.
Tip: click on the link text ”See more” below the course cards to see all price options. Choose the package you want and proceed to the registration confirmation by clicking the ”Book” button.
Note: choose the course pass corresponding to your own pricing group (regular or discounted price). See the next topic below.
Important: set the correct pricing group information in your booking account
If you create a username when purchasing a course ticket or registering for a course, remember to choose the right price group information for you: Normal price or one of the discount groups (discount price against a certificate, bring the certificate to the course)
• for those under 18 years of age
• for students
• for those on maternity or nursing leave
• for the unemployed
• for pensioners
• for conscripts and civil servants
• For HUS employees
• For members of the Actors’ Union
Tip: You can download a certificate from a discount group or a student card, e.g. as a jpg image, to the information of your booking account.
Paying for the course with employer provided sports benefits
If you have sports benefits Smartum, Virike, ePassi, EazyBreak, Edenred (sports vouchers, payment card or application), you can choose Pay later / On-Site Payment as the payment method.
You can pay the course fee or part of it to the Astanga Yoga School in Helsinki (a free amount of your choice) with the sports benefit application.
After that, send the payment receipt by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will credit the sports balance to the course payment, because the sports balance payment is not entered into our reservation system automatically.
Payment with sports vouchers at the course location.
Course and class pass prices
Workshop prices (incl. VAT 10%)
|Passes and credits||Regular price||Discount groups|
|Beginners’ course 4x60min (40 credits)||67 € BUY||61 € BUY|
|Eligible for the discount price group with a certificate (shown in the course): under 18 yrs, students, those on parental or care leave, unemployed, pensioners, military or civil service. The validity of the class pass starts after the course from the first weekly class you attend. 4x class passes are valid for 3 months and compatible for all 60-90 min weekly classes. The validity period of the passes can be extended if necessary for an additional fee. Class passes are now credits: 1 drop in class 10 credits, 5 classes 50 credits, 10 classes 100 credits. Number of credits charged for each class is shown in the class title at the class schedule.|
Upcoming courses for new and intermediate beginners
Note: There might be several different types of courses in the list, so it’s worth scrolling down to see all the options.
Registration for the course is binding. Cancellations no later than 5 days before the start of the course. Uncancelled registrations will be invoiced according to the price list.