Helsinki Easter Workshop with Heidi and Juha 7-10th April 2023
Astanga Yoga School Helsinki, Finland
Address: Annankatu 29B, courtyard, 00100 Helsinki
Special classes will be also streamed online!
Notice to Helsinki Yogaschool students: If you have an one-buy Anytime card, you will get it prolonged for 4 days free of charge if you attend the full morning yoga program. Prolonging does not apply to 12 months contract with which you get 15% discount of the workshop prices using the promotion code ”VUOSIKORTTI”.
In this Helsinki workshop Heidi and Juha will guide and assist the Ashtanga yoga practitioners in their morning Astanga Yoga Mysore style practice.
Heidi and Juha will also give special classes on Astanga Yoga including chanting, philosophy, pranayama and meditation. Workshop is international, teaching and meetings will be presented primarily in English.
Helsinki workshop pop-up events:
- Saturday 8.4. – Lunch (?)
The Special theme in the retreat is the Mind and the Practice, with theory based on Yoga sutras:
– The mind in the state of yoga and the mind in other times
– Patterns that create suffering
– How to reduce sufferings by practicing yoga in order to get clarity and peace of mind
We will also discussion on observing our practice to discover give simple but effective ways how to be more present and observant:
– The challenges in yoga asana practice and concrete ways for overcoming them.
– What can you learn through this challenge?
– What kind of qualities do you need to cultivate in your practice in order to take it to the next level?
The Special program has four classes:
Class 1 Friday lecture on Yoga Philosophy ”The Mind and the Practice” Part 1 with Heidi. Class includes yogamantra and sutra chanting and meditation.
Class 2 Saturday lecture on Yoga Philosophy ”The Mind and the Practice” Part 2 with Juha. Class includes yogamantra and sutra chanting, pranayama and meditation.
Class 3 Sunday lecture and discussion ”From Practice to Observation to Practice” Part 1 with Heidi. Class includes yogamantra and sutra chanting and meditation.
Class 4 Monday lecture and discussion ”From Practice to Observation to Practice” Part 2 with Juha. Class includes yogamantra and sutra chanting, , pranayama and meditation.
Down in this page you can create your Helsinki Yogaschool student account, you can buy workshop class pass or drop-in tickets, and you can to sign up into Ashtanga morning practices and special lectures.
Astanga Mysore style
- Friday – Monday 8 – 11, starting times every 30 minutes between 7 – 9:30. Upstairs shala (2nd floor)
classes include Chanting, Pranayama and Meditation
- Friday – Monday 11:15 – 13. Upstairs shala (-2nd floor). Also streamed live online
Heidi Ruokoniemi: ”I started to practice Astanga year 2004 and the year 2009, I made my first trip to Mysore, India, to practice with Sri Sharath Jois. I have been his student since then, practiced with him yearly for over ten years and keep studying with him whenever possible. Sharath Jois authorized me to teach the primary and intermediate series of Ashtanga Yoga in 2012. A year later, I met my future partner in Mysore, and ended up being married and living in the homeland of yoga for seven years.
Living in India and in a brahmin family gave me a unique perspective to Indian culture and yoga. In India, spirituality is intertwined with everyday life, and some of the traditions and wisdom that have carried on for thousands of years are still being observed and respected. The ancient and the modern, the chaos and the beauty, are all present simultaneously, and everything seems to be possible.
I am very grateful to have had the the opportunity to teach Ashtanga Yoga in India as well; In those magical surroundings the teachings of yoga seem to be always near and ready to be internalized. With the help of daily practice, Sadhana, it is possible to find equanimity in between the contrasts of life, and peace when everything is changing. I am thankful for the daily yoga practice, that continues to guide me and keeps me grounded.”
Juha Javanainen, a father of five children, has practiced Ashtanga yoga with Radha Warrell, Derek Ireland, Lino Miele and Eddie Stern, in addition to R. Sharath Jois and Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. Juha is a co-founder of Ashtanga Yoga Helsinki, and Sri K Pattabhi Jois blessed the school in 1997 to teach the traditional Astanga Yoga method.
Juha continues to teach in Helsinki while working also as a yoga school director. Juha also keeps on to study and to practice Ashtanga Yoga as taught by Pattabhi Jois and T. Krishnamacharya, and the Yoga Philosophy of Patanjali. His special project was to translate the primary work of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois on Astanga Yoga, the book called Yoga Mala, into Finnish in 2002.
Juha wishes to share his experiences on practice and teaching, how to work with the body&mind for healing purposes within the yoga practice.
We love silence, emails preferred <3
+358 50 3312993 (sms) / Juha
Call time Mon-Thu 12-13 EET (UTC+03:00)
If you don’t get through by phone, please send us email or sms.
In case you have trouble creating the student account, buying a class pass or booking classes, please email us:
Registration and payment instructions
Can’t book the course? See the instructions below or send us your course registration with a booking form.
We recommend you to buy first a course / class pass from the price list below and then book the classes you wish to attend, and then book your mysore class starting times (only one mysore class per day) and special classes in the workshop schedule below. If the class is full you can sign into a waitlist.
When you click the book button, the booking window opens, where you can see your valid course or class passes under My passes: by clicking on that pass, you confirm your booking.
Alternatively, you can buy a course pass directly upon registration; see below for instructions on how to purchase a course pass when booking.
To speed up the course check-in at the yoga studio, we recommend to pay the course online with your payment card in advance when registering for the course.
If you have sports benefits available, see the instructions below how you can pay for the course with them.
You can also pay for the course by bank transfer from your own online bank: you can see the details of the Yoga School’s payment account on the course Invoice. Bank transfer does not automatically acknowledge the course payment, but send a receipt/photo of the payment by email to email@example.com and we will acknowledge the course as paid.
Note: If you have annual anytime subscription, you will get 15% off the workshop prices using the Promotion code ”VUOSIKORTTI”.
Note: If you have an anytime card, you can ask to extend it by the number of workshop yoga practices you have attended.
How to book, step-by-step guide
- First, create your own account in the reservation system. We recommend downloading the Helsinki Astanga Yoga School App. The same reservation ID is used in the app and on the astangajooga.fi website. Remember to log in to the app (Log in) in the Member role. Managing course reservations and canceling classes is easiest through the App.
- Book yourself a course card or a package. It takes place in the yoga school’s online store, either via the website or the App. You can pay for the course immediately or later. See below for more information on buying a course card and paying with your eployee provided exercise benefits.
- Register for the course with the Book button. If you have a course pass, it is shown under My passes, confirm your registration with the relevant course pass. If you don’t have a course pass yet, you can choose it at this point from the English Course Passes menu.
Our booking application makes using the booking system easy
Download the Helsingin Astanga Yogakoulu app to your phone or tablet from iStore or Google Play. The same reservation ID is used in the app and on the astangajooga.fi website. Remember to log in to the app (Log in) in the Member role. The app is faster to use than through a browser.
The app makes it convenient to book courses (Workshops in the top menu) and classes (Schedule menu in the app) and, if necessary, cancel class reservations (My Bookings).
- If you haven’t used our Bsport-based reservation system before, do a Sign up in the App and then before the first login to your account reset the password (Forgot password) so that you can set your own password.
- Log in to the app in the Member role (Teacher view appears empty).
- The Workshops view that opens on the app’s front page is a course menu from which you can watch a presentation of a specific course, and at the end of the presentation, upcoming course dates are displayed, from which you can choose a course that suits you.
- Remember to cancel the booking of a class or course in time (at least 2 hours before the start of the class) so that the credits of the booking are returned to your account for booking another class.
- You can check the validity and monitor the usage of your class or course pass under Studio / My passes.
- You can also buy new yoga passes in the studio section.
Option: purchase of a course pass when booking the course
If you do not yet have a valid course pass, you can purchase it during registration as follows:
Open the price list by clicking on ”English Course passes” and you will see the course passes suitable for this course and their prices.
Tip: click on the link text ”See more” below the course cards to see all price options. Choose the package you want and proceed to the registration confirmation by clicking the ”Book” button.
Note: choose the course pass corresponding to your own pricing group (regular or discounted price). See the next topic below.
Important: set the correct pricing group information in your booking account
If you create a username when purchasing a course ticket or registering for a course, remember to choose the right price group information for you: Normal price or one of the discount groups (discount price against a certificate, bring the certificate to the course)
• for those under 18 years of age
• for students
• for those on maternity or nursing leave
• for the unemployed
• for pensioners
• for conscripts and civil servants
• For HUS employees
• For members of the Actors’ Union
Tip: You can download a certificate from a discount group or a student card, e.g. as a jpg image, to the information of your booking account.
Paying for the course with employer provided sports benefits
If you have sports benefits Smartum, Virike, ePassi, EazyBreak, Edenred (sports vouchers, payment card or application), you can choose Pay later / On-Site Payment as the payment method.
You can pay the course fee or part of it to the Astanga Yoga School in Helsinki (a free amount of your choice) with the sports benefit application.
After that, send the payment receipt by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will credit the sports balance to the course payment, because the sports balance payment is not entered into our reservation system automatically.
Payment with sports vouchers at the course location.
Course and class pass prices
|Passes and credits||Regular price||Discount groups|
|Yoga 4 days and special classes 4 days (120 credits)||169 € BUY||145 € BUY|
|Yoga and special classes 3 days (90 credits)||145 € BUY||119 € BUY|
|Yoga and special classes 1 day (30 credits)||49 € BUY||45 € BUY|
|Yoga only 4 days (52 credits)||85 € BUY||72 € BUY|
|Special classes only 4 days (68 credits)||99 € BUY||85 € BUY|
|Online special classes 4 days (40 credits)||69 € BUY||69 € BUY|
|Yoga drop-in (13 credits)||25 € BUY||21 € BUY|
|Special class drop-in (17 credits)||29 € BUY||25 € BUY|
|Online special class drop-in (10 credits)||21 € BUY||21 € BUY|
|Eligible for the discount price group with a certificate (shown in the course): under 18 yrs, students, those on parental or care leave, unemployed, pensioners, military or civil service. The validity period of the passes can be extended if necessary for an additional fee. Class passes are now credits: the number of credits charged for each class is shown in the class titles at the workshop class schedule.|
Schedule – book your classes
Note: scroll the week view forward to see Easter classes!