Summer Yoga Retreat
At Houtskar Island July 5th – 18th, 2021
with Astanga Yoga School Helsinki and Skärgårdsskolan Houtskär
Retreat now open for registrations!
Yogis from EU/Schengen are now welcome to Finland –
new travel rules from July 1st are turist friendly, see the Covid-19 and travel info.
See the Summer Retreat Guide for detailed steps and instructions for registration and class booking.
First week 5.-11.7. || Second week 12.-18.7.
Notes: Extra workshops and Kids classes are now open for registrations.
Some of the classes will be also streamed online
(Online registration opening July 2nd).
Retreat is suitable for beginners and more experienced Astanga practitioners, kids, teens, and also other yoga practitioners than Astanga as there is a lot of program and general yoga classes including philosophy, pranayama and meditation. Retreat is international, teaching and meetings will be presented primarily in English.
Astanga Yoga Practice (Tue-Sun)
Astanga Mysore style
- Practice between 5:30 – 9:00 am
First week mysore teachers: Petri Räisänen Thu-Sun, Marke Murtomäki (Tue-Thu) & Juha Javanainen.
Second week mysore teachers: Petri Räisänen & Juha Javanainen.
Led Astanga classes
- Led beginners class 8:00 – 9:15 /Mari Metso
- Introduction to new beginners 9:30 – 10:30 / Mari Metso
Weekly special program
1st week – July 5-11:
- Meditation course based on Buddhist Vajrayana methods / Tamara Ashley
- Pratyahara the Fifth limb of Astanga Yoga method / Petri & Juha
- Resonant breathing / Juha
- Kids yoga* (in Finnish) / Malina Pursiainen
- Extra workshop* Mindfulness meditation (2x) / Marke Murtomäki (Teaching in Finnish!)
- Extra workshop* Program will be announced soon…
2nd week – July 12-18:
- Yoga Philosophy “Lessons on Yoga Sutras of Patanjali” / Måns Broo
- Dharana, the sixth limb of Astanga Yoga method / Petri & Juha
- Body and Environment in Meditation / Tamara Ashley
- Kids yoga* (in Finnish) / Jenna Kirmanen
- Extra workshop* Restorative yin yoga (3x) / Tamara Ashley
- Extra workshop* Relaxation with Tibetan Singing Bowl / Yoga nidra (3x) / Maya Pokrovskaya
*) Extra afternoon workshops 2-3 classes per week, special price for Retreat attendants, also drop in, limited number of space. Book the extra workshop in advance!
Arrival info and meeting on Mondays
• arrive between 15:00 – 18:00 (note: there is ferries on the way from Parainen to Houtskari)
• rooms available from 15:00
• Morning bus from Helsinki to Turku / Kaarina, change bus to Houtskari, see the timetable at Matkahuolto.fi (webpage also in English).
• evening meal between 18:00 –19:00
Info meeting at 19:15–20:15
• introduction of teachers, assistants and house staff of the week
• Saaristokoulu houses, area and general info of the week
• program of the week
• practice times and Karma yoga turns
Weekly Schedule (Tue-Sun)
Astanga Mysore style
• Practice between 5:00 – 9:00
Led Yoga classes:
• Introduction to new beginners around 9:30 – 10:30
• Beginners classes around 8:00 – 9:15
• For 3-6 yrs & 7-12 yrs between 10:30 – 12:20
Lectures / Philosophy / Meditation
• Lectures 11:15 – 12:30
• Mindfulness meditation, Yin Yoga, Singing Bowls meditation.
Other afternoon program
• possibility for private questions with the teachers
• discussions on yoga, progress and health
• yoga asana techniques – Asana Lab
• pranayama breathing methods and practices
• evening meditation
Day trips, nature sightseeing (by bicycles, boats, walking etc)
• 300 m distance to Näsby village centre and shops
• 6km distance Cafe Hyppeis Värdshus
• SUP boards, rowing boats
• (Traditional sailboat trips, price ?)
• a small volley ball field, good also for badminton / birdie
• grass field for kids soccer
• bring your own freetime games
• sauna every morning & evening
• (Yoga and India videos ?)
- free wireless internet available at the Houtskar Saaristokoulu area and rooms
- free bicycles and rowing boats (2)
- bed linen and towels available for rent at the Reception, rent 8€
- washing machine prices: normal program 5€, short program 2€, reservations at the Reception
- we will make the Retreat together: we will keep the Yoga Shala and Dining hall and our private rooms clean by ourselves (this will be Karma Yoga e.g. Yoga of work for each others, and this is part of the Retreat program)
- (Petri’s and Eddie Stern’s yogabooks available ?)
Delicious vegan/vegetarian meals:
- breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner
- the menu (mostly vegan) is planned by a professional chef
- dairy free option always available (dairy products are all in all used only in small quantities)
- let us know about your special diet or allergies with registration
Sunday program, departure and check-out
• Morning yoga and lectures as usually before the lunch
• Closing of the retreat week 12:30
• Lunch 12:30-13:30
If you are leaving on Sunday
• check-out of the rooms and cottages 13:00
• bus from Houtskari to Turku / Helsinki
If the yoga retreat goes on and you stay the next week
• evening meal 18:00 –19:00
• sauna 17:30–21:30
We love silence, emails preferred <3
+358 45 1320 300 (sms) / Mari Metso
Call time Mon-Wed 11-12 EET (UTC+03:00 during the summer)
If you don’t get through by phone, please send us email or sms.